At Adina Designed Interiors we can cater for all your cabinetry needs. We pride ourselves on good honest advice, professionalism and quality work built to last.
The Sustainability Trend: Eco-friendly Interior Design Ideas
More than just a fleeting trend, sustainability has become a guiding principle for us in the modern world. As we become increasingly environmentally conscious, the focus on green living has made its way into various industries, including interior design.
We now have a variety of sustainable and eco-friendly interior design ideas, from structural alterations to colour and finish selections. If you're interested in embracing eco-friendly practices within your home or business, our team at Adina Designed Interiors offers a suite of services to help you achieve this.
Structural Modifications for Sustainability
A significant part of sustainable interior design involves the structural components of a space.
- Natural Light Maximisation: The strategic use of windows, skylights, and open floor plans can greatly increase the amount of natural light in a space, reducing reliance on artificial lighting and thus, energy consumption.
- Material Selection: Choose sustainable building materials for your interior structures. Consider reclaimed wood, bamboo, and recycled metal or glass. These materials are not only eco-friendly but also add a unique look to your design.
- Insulation: Proper insulation is vital for energy efficiency. Sustainable materials like sheep's wool or cellulose provide great insulation and can help keep your space warm in winter and cool in summer.
Eco-Friendly Colours and Finishes
Choosing the right colours and finishes is another crucial part of sustainable interior design.
- Sustainable Paint: Traditional paints often contain Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) and they are considered harmful to the environment. Opt for low-VOC or VOC-free paints, which are healthier for both you and the planet.
- Natural Tones: Embrace colours inspired by nature. Earthy tones and shades of green, blue, and beige can create a peaceful, inviting atmosphere in your space.
- Eco-Friendly Finishes: When choosing finishes for your interiors, consider environmentally friendly options like water-based wood finishes, natural oil seals for wooden floors, and lime or clay plasters for walls.
- Textiles and Upholstery: Choose organic cotton, linen, or recycled polyester for upholstery and drapes. Natural fibre rugs are another eco-friendly choice.
Bringing It All Together
Creating a sustainable interior is all about mindful choices. It's about thinking not just about the aesthetic appeal but also about each element's longevity and environmental impact.
Our interior design team loves exploring and designing interiors that are as beautiful as they are sustainable. If this is something you’d like to explore with us, we’d love to chat more with you and you can contact us here. Whether it's a minor renovation or a complete overhaul, we can guide you on this sustainable journey, one eco-friendly choice at a time. Remember interior design is not just about making things look beautiful and feel functional. It is also about your values. If you value sustainability, and incorporating eco-friendly design ideas into your home, that is entirely possible.
Ready to have your design vision come to life?
Get our creative team of designers and craftsmen to help you create a memorable space.